Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Return to the blog

I haven't posted because I haven't done any work. I haven't done any work because I haven't been in the country, and because the country I was in was far too hot to do any work. Also, there was a small matter of football.

I did get to see Australia lose to Brazil in a rather indifferent game, but the atmosphere was amazing. I was Jakob Moertl for the day, whoever he is. Good old Jakob.

In other places, I did exciting things like climb an alp, or... no, that's it.

I also read Masters of Doom, by David Kushner. The story of id software, particularly focussing on John's Carmack and Romero, it's inspiring stuff for a guy like me. I even have long hair! Future Rich Person in the making, methinks. Now, if only I had their talent. Oh, and their Ferraris. No, there's plenty in that book that made me want to rush off and get coding long into the night.

There's also this quote from John Carmack I picked up earlier today:

The idea that I can be presented with a problem, set out to logically solve it with the tools at hand, and wind up with a program that could not be legally used because someone else followed the same logical steps some years ago and filed for a patent on it is horrifying.

He speaks a lot of sense. There's a place for patents but it is not in software. By all means make money from your creation but don't try to kid yourself. That pathway was forged with the architecture you're working on - you're just the first to walk down the road. Hilary doesn't claim rent on Everest.

No comments: