Saturday, June 03, 2006

Revelation #239



I'm shit at graphic design. Really fucking shit.

Modern PCs give you massive resolutions and 32-bit colour. That's far too much for a guy like me to deal with. I used to be ace at creating interface mockups on my Amstrad CPC, with its 400x250, 2-bit colour screen. Four whole colours! Man, I had a screen with black, red, a darker red and white. It looked ace.

And that's it there in those little pictures, that I just took with a crappy camera. It suited the machine perfectly, it was nice, and I never got further than this. It would clearly have been the best game ever. Alas, it wasn't to be because it was 1999 and I finally got myself a PC, and thus all the requirments got expanded into areas that I alone can't possibly meet.

Which is why I'm quite grateful for my XML GUI system. Without that, I'd be stuck right now having to design (or get someone to design) an interface before I could proceed with the guts of the system. That'd be frustrating, and I wouldn't be able to make any changes later without a heck of a lot of work.

But right now, my interface looks like someone's crapped it out after eating fifteen curries laced with laxative, yet it's not holding me back in the slightest. Yes!

No comments: