Sunday, July 09, 2006

Swift? Ha ha!

In my last post, I mentioned the links system and how it would swiftly clean things up to avoid horrible crashes.

Swift is not the word. Slow is.

Actually, it's reasonably quick but it can't be used in the game at all because it all adds up - delete one player and it might take a second to ensure all traces are removed. Delete the 20,000 people who might retire at the end of the season and I suspect that nobody's going to be happy waiting for five and a half hours while the game makes sure everything's ok.

Instead of automating it, it'll have to be cleaned up in code. It's not a major problem - it had to be done anyhow in places - and still doesn't necessitate too many code changes if I rearrange the tables. I've still got some headaches related to the whole speed thing but not as much as before.

And of course, I don't have to worry about the imminent destruction of the universe.

No comments: