Thursday, January 26, 2006

Almost a week since my last update? Blimey.

Earlier in the week I read a very interesting essay by Paul Graham, which you can find here
, entitled "How To Do What You Love". Right now, I'm not doing what I love. I'm working a rather soulless day job as a software engineer in order to pay the bills. I'm not the kind of person who can take orders very well - I need to be on my own, in control. I'm a creative type and want to make my living following creative pursuits, not mobile comms software. Imagine Michaelangelo's reaction if Pope Julius II had asked him to paint the roof of the Sistine Chapel using 200 tins of Dulux and a stipple effect roller and you'll get a good handle on how I feel about the whole job.

Except right now I don't even get the roller. Michaelangelo has just been asked to move some boxes.

Ho hum.

Still, I have a two track path and plenty of time in the afternoons and weekends to continue the real work. It's a pity that the current task is the entirely uninteresting database software that powers the game, and that's pretty much why I haven't been updating as frequency as I had hoped. Even Michaelangelo needed to put in some new plaster before he got down to the painting.

One thing I do get on with in my actual spare time is testing out other management titles, to scour for clever features or terrible mistakes. Yesterday I picked up a copy of FIFA Manager 06. Not a game I'd be entirely interested in playing, but the demo highlighted a few interesting titbits here and there so I'll be giving it a whirl.

No comments: