Sunday, January 08, 2006

Like I said, it's boring stuff. So boring that sometimes you wonder if you ought to post it. Still, this blog is as much for my benefit as it is for anyone else, so here goes.

Today was about sorting out the fiddly little things here and there in the editor. Stuff like assigning a chairman to a club (and ignoring anyone who's not a chairman), or making sure each of the three teams in a club (for example, first team, reserves and youth) store their stadium correctly.

Told you it was boring.

In other news, a mate informed me that Half Life 2 for the Xbox has silly controls. I've been playing FPSs on the consoles for ages, and always with the same configuration - Left Stick for moving and turning, Right Stick for looking and strafing. It's second nature to me, and Halo calls it "Legacy", as it's from a time when pads had no sticks and used a d-pad to move and turn. You'd think all games in this day in age, particularly major ones like Half Life 2, would allow for it.

But no. They give you strafing on the left stick and turning on the right, which is a more recent development (the idea being that you can aim your gun with only one stick) but counter intuitive for myself. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to play it.

On the plus side, I finally understand why PC gamers usually despise FPSs on pads.

No comments: